Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Frequent flyer joys?

I just got my itinerary today -oh the joys of "the imaginative frequent flyer"! I believe these are Delta miles being exchanged here but they sure want to see if I can quickly readapt myself to airport connection strategies...seeing if I still have what it takes to be the savvy,sure and quick footed voyager.
On a previous flight to kayak guide on the Southern Coast of Crete, Greece I had a connection through Paris and anyone who has landed at CDG airport(Charles de Gaulle - for those less acquainted)know that its layout though seemingly simple is always under construction and when I had had the displeasure of an action packed 45minutes layover including the "wait forever on the tarmac for the bus to fill up with all the slow pokes" for the epic and always courteous "welcome to paris" ride to the terminal, a delightful if not slightly stressful oscar award nominee winning push through customs...followed by a superbly executed and pre-meditated sprint through the airport...to arrive athletic prowess glowing(and perspiring)to a standing ovation from the flight deck at the next terminal on last boarding call or sometimes just a closed door/gate or a foreign accented ' sorry ma'am...if you'd like to go and stand in the customer service line ( oh that one, the long one that snakes around and is interwoven with another)...they will be happy to rebook you onto the next flight (if there is one)"
Sometimes if one is lucky the plane has been delayed...except of course if there was meant to be another sprint interval at the next connection!!
For now this trip I am flying Chicago - Munich - Vienna - Athens- Milos...only 4 flights...not bad!!with only one 45minute transfer challenge thus far!
My return home from Turkey has me with three internal flights on Turkish Air, then connecting through Frankfurt en route back to Chicago. Wish me luck!

Sometimes, if one is patient,persistent and knowledgeable with the frequent flyer mileage programs and is willing to chat for 2.5 hours on the phone to a complete stranger that by the end of the conversation we have laughed and cried and shared travel stories and jokes et voila! I have procured for myself a ticket home to New Zealand with a 5 day lay over in Honolulu.Someone has got to do it!! Thank you United and Air New Zealand! A special thanks to Paul at the Chicago United Airlines Call Center for just doing a great job, and sharing my breakfast, conversations with my roommate Pascale and commute with me...

Bon voyage...

No comments: